Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Grilled Swordfish with Crispy Cauliflower

I saw this recipe for cauliflower in a Tasting Table email.  The recipe comes from chef Bruce Binn of Thermidor, San Francisco.  Bad habit of mine....I forgot to really read the recipe before I went to the store, so where he adds mint, I'm adding shallots and raisins. Picked up a beautiful piece of swordfish which Dave will grill (4 mins a side).  Just a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper to prepare it for the grill.  I think a small arugula and fig salad will be a nice accompaniment.

Crispy Cauliflower, serves 2, Total time:  40 mins

1/2 head of cauliflower, separated into small to medium florets
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 shallot, minced
2 tbsp raisins or currants
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400.  Toss cauliflower florets with 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil.  Spread on a rimmed baking sheet.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast, rotating the baking sheet and stirring about halfway through for a total of 15-20 mins, until the edges of the cauliflower are golden brown.  Remove and cool completely. (I'm not sure you need to cool the cauliflower before the next step.  I did, but not sure what you gain.)

In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil.  Add the shallots and saute over medium heat.  When shallots are beginning to soften, add the cauliflower and the raisins and cook over medium high heat, stirring often until crispy and warmed through, about 4 mins.

Transfer to a bowl, squeeze lemon juice over and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Bottom Line:  Didn't love the cauliflower.  I normally roast it until it's pretty brown (about 30 mins) and then dress it with browned butter (sometimes with shallots and raisins) and it's very tasty.  I don't think I'll make this recipe again.  The swordfish and the salad were yummy, tho!

No comments:

Post a Comment