Monday, July 26, 2010

Fattoush Salad

Fattoush Salad, or Lebanese Bread Salad was introduced to me by my good friend, Leslie. Not that she gave me the recipe (wish that she had!). I found several recipes on the internet and played around to come up with this one, which I enjoyed for my dinner tonight. Dave's out of town, so he missed out.


Fattoush Salad, serves 2, prep time 30 minutes
1 whole wheat pita, cut into 3/4 inch strips
1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp. ground sumac
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup diced cucumber (I like to use Japanese or Persian)
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves
2 tablespoons crumbled Feta cheese
Peperoncini peppers

Toast pita in a 400 degree oven 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Cool and crumble into bite sized pieces. Set aside.

For the dressing, mix together garlic, salt, lemon juice and sumac. Drizzle in olive oil while whisking to blend.

Toss lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, red pepper, mint and parsley with 1/2 of the dressing. Add pita crumbles and more dressing. Salad should be wet. Let sit 5 minutes. Serve, topping with Feta and freshly ground pepper. Garnish with Peperoncini.

Bottom line: This salad has it all: great fresh flavor, nice crunch and several servings of those all important veggies! Feel free to add anything you want, olives would be nice.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I'm going to try it. What is ground sumac?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ground sumac is one of those spices that's hard to find! I did find it a Whole Foods in their "exotic" spices section. The description is: Boasts a sharp, fruity flavor that is delicious with vegetables, meats and seafood. It did add a lot to the dish, but if you can't find it, I would suggest using lemon zest or lemon pepper. I googled and found that there's really no substitute for this "sour lemon" tasting spice.

    ReplyDelete