Thursday, July 29, 2010

Salad Nicoise


My go-to recipe for a dinner sure to get rave reviews from Dave, Salad Nicoise! I use the recipe in The Silver Palate Cookbook, leaving off the anchovy fillets and sometimes the olives (I know, I know, is it really Nicoise without the olives????, but sometimes I just don't have them handy) and I always add some capers, just because. I usually use premium canned tuna in oil as this adds a nice dimension, but tonight I'm using fresh tuna, seared on the grill instead. Along with the farm fresh beans, potatoes and tomatoes from the market yesterday, this will be the perfect summer dinner. Yes, it might finally be summer in Santa Monica......we've awakened to sunshine for the last two mornings instead of the persistent fog we've had for most of June and July, so we should celebrate!

Salad Nicoise, serves 2, total time: 45 mins

Vinaigrette
1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
minced parsley and/or chives, to taste
1/4 extra virgin olive oil

Salad
4 fingerling potatoes (about 1/4 pound)
1/2 pound green beans
2 ripe Italian plum tomatoes, quartered
1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp Nicoise olives
pinch salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
2 hard cooked eggs, quartered or sliced
4 oz ahi tuna
tbsp capers
2 cups mixed greens

Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender but not mushy, about 10 mins. When slightly cool, quarter and transfer to large bowl. Cook green beans in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes, until tender, but still firm. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking and pat dry in paper towels. Place in bowl with potatoes. Add tomatoes, onion, olives, parsley, a pinch of salt and the pepper. Pour 2 tbsp vinaigrette over vegetables and toss gently.

Prepare grill (or use a grill pan). Lightly rub tuna with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and sear over high heat for 2 mins per side (providing your tuna is about an inch thick, if thinner, sear for 1 1/2 mins per side). Slice tuna into thin slices.

Place one cup mixed greens on plate, top with vegetable mixture and arrange tuna slices on top. Place egg quarters around, sprinkle capers over. Drizzle with additional vinaigrette and serve room temperature.

Bottom Line: This is always a hit in our family, served with a little bread, it is very satisfying and I have vegetables and extra vinaigrette left over for my lunch tomorrow! I might open a little can of tuna to top it off....

3 comments:

  1. Hey Natalie! I love the blog and your presentation is alway beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making this for sure! I doubt Dave's 4 minute per side rule doesn't apply to tuna though. More like 40 seconds for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NB, absolutely correct, he only grilled the tuna for 1 1/2 minutes aside, or as he would say: 4 mins minus 2 1/2 :)

    ReplyDelete