Thursday, August 19, 2010

Corn Chowder

Corn again?  Enough already!  I know, but all too soon, corn season will be over and I'll have to wait until next July to get any decent fresh corn so I buy it while I can ....also, I have a bit of a cold and this way I can justify soup in the middle of a heat wave, so humor me.  I know there are lots of recipes out there that add crab or fish to the chowder, we had one last weekend and it was quite tasty, but I like this simple, unadulterated recipe from Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins, The New Basic Cookbook.  Enjoy!

Corn Chowder, serves 2+, Total time: 1 hour
  
2 oz. sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onions
1 tbsp flour
2 cups chicken stock or broth
1 large potato, peeled (unless you are using smaller, thin skinned such as new or fingerling), 1/4 inch dice
1/2 cup half and half (I use milk and it seems to work just fine)
2 ears fresh corn, kernels cut from the cob
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
1-2 scallions, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional for all of you who think cilantro tastes like soap.....and you know who you are!)

Wilt the bacon in a soup pot over low heat until fat is rendered, about 5 minutes.  Add the butter and allow it to melt.

Add the onion and wilt over low heat for 10 minutes.  Add the flour and cook, stirring, another 3-5 minutes.

Add the stock and potatoes.  Continue cooking over med-low heat until the potatoes are just tender, 10 mins. or so.

Add the half and half (milk), corn, salt and pepper to taste.  Cook 7 mins.

Add the bell pepper and scallions, adjust the seasonings, and cook an additional 5 mins.  Serve, garnished with cilantro.

Bottom Line:  This is one of my favorite end of summer soups....although Dave could have used some air conditioning!  My potatoes did not take the full 10 minutes, so watch carefully as you don't want to overcook them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment