Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Grilled Chicken Breasts with Potato Salad and Greens

Does this sound like I've thrown in the kitchen sink?  Tomorrow is Farmer's Market Wednesday, but I have a self imposed rule that I can't go if I don't really need anything, soooo, let's get some of that stuff out of the produce bin so I can treat myself tomorrow!  That means we'll have 2 salads tonight, although does potato salad really count as salad?  To me it's the side veg of the evening.  This is truly a simple meal.  I'm using the vinaigrette from the Nicoise Salad to dress the potatoes as well as to marinate the chicken breasts.  You could also use if to dress the greens (in this case wild arugula and tomatoes), but I think I'll just drizzle with a good olive oil and some balsamic vinegar to cut the tartness of the arugula.

Potato Salad, serves 2, total time:  30 mins.

6 fingerling potatoes
1 stalk celery, diced
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Place potatoes in saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until just tender, about 8-10 minutes after they come to a boil.  Drain and quarter.  Add celery, onion and parsley to cooled potatoes and lightly dress with vinaigrette.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Vinaigrette
1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
minced parsley and/or chives, to taste
1/4 extra virgin olive oil

Combine mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and herbs.  Drizzle oil into mixture, whisking to incorporate.


Grilled Chicken Breasts, serves 2, total time:  35 mins

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Vinaigrette
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Marinate chicken breasts in vinaigrette.  Prepare grill.  When hot, cook chicken breast 15-20 minutes, turning often, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.  Serve hot or room temperature.

Bottom line:  I love dinners like these.  It's all so simple and fresh.  You could always add red peppers or green beans or hard boiled eggs to your potato salad.  Also, mustard seeds are a nice touch.  YUM!!



No comments:

Post a Comment