Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Summer Panzanella (Italian Bread Salad)

Years ago, my mother-in-law gave me Michael Chiarello's Tra Vigne Cookbook.  She chose it because it was beautiful and she knew I liked to cook.  She doesn't love to cook and I was dreading yet another "restaurant cookbook."  You know the type, recipes so complicated, using ingredients you don't usually have on hand and so laborious that  you would never make them at home.  This one is different and it is one of my favorite cookbooks.  The recipes set up the basics and then give you several options.  Also, the dishes are unique, but straightforward to prepare (for the most part).  I liked that cookbook so much, I bought his second one, Casual Cooking, which is where you'll find the Panzanella recipe.  As is his tendency, he not only gives you a recipe for Summer Panzanella, but also versions for Autumn, Winter and Spring.  The Summer version is perfect for tonight's dinner:  Dave's travelling and I have a plateful of ripe tomatoes staring me in the face and what better way to put a dent in that plate!

Summer Panzanella, serves 2, Total time:  30 mins

1 # ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced (I didn't peel and seed my tomatoes)
2 tbsp minced red onion (I used a sweet Vidalia as that is what I had on hand)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (I used only a little more than 2 tbsp)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1/2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
1/2 tsp sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
stale French bread, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 cup arugula
Parmesan cheese

Place tomatoes in a colander to drain excess liquid while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, basil, tarragon, salt and pepper to tasted.  Add the croutons and toss well.

Divide between 2 plates.  Top each serving with an equal amount of the arugula.  With a vegetable peeler, shave the Parmesan over the salad.  Serve immediately.

Note:  Michael's recipe calls for making the croutons by melting butter in a skillet; adding the bread cubes, tossing to coat, spreading on a baking sheet, sprinkling with finely grated Parmesan and baking in a 350 degree oven until crisp and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.  I skipped the butter and cheese step and lightly baked my bread to crisp up.  His way is delicious, but figured I didn't need the calories.

Also, you can prepare the salad in advance, just don't add the croutons, arugula and cheese until right before serving.

Bottom line:  I usually make this for myself as a main course.  I know many of you are thinking....no way am I only eating tomatoes and arugula for dinner.  That's ok, I'm a little weird....so grill up some fish, a piece of chicken, or even a steak and serve this as your side.  It's as delicious as your tomatoes are and if you love tomatoes like I do, you'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment