Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Poached Eggs with Mushrooms and Tomatoes

Yeah, Dave's at the Laker's Season Opener sitting in the NBA Suite....without me.....business you know. That means I'm eating breakfast for dinner. I could eat breakfast any time of day and I'm always on the lookout for a new twist on eggs. This recipe came to me through the Real Simple newsletter a while back. I love it and make it whenever I get the opportunity. Hope you like it as well.


Poached Eggs with Mushrooms and Tomatoes, serves 2, Total time: 30 minutes

2 tsp white vinegar
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
1 medium tomato, sliced into 4 rounds or quartered cherry tomatoes
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 # assorted mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
4 large eggs
2 slices country bread, toasted
Parmesan cheese shavings to top


Fill a large deep skillet with 3 inches of water. Add the vinegar and bring to a bare simmer.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp of the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook until just tender, 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the skillet and heat ofver medium high heat. Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally , until golden brown and tender, 6-7 minutes.

Meanwhile, crack the eggs into separate custard cups. One at a time, slide each gently into the water in the deep skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes for slightly runny yolks and remove with a slotted spoon.

Dividing evenly, top the toast with the tomatoes, mushrooms, eggs, Parmesan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Bottom Line: I don't poach my eggs as directed because I'm a sissy. I bought some of those silicone poaching cups and place the eggs in there, place in the boiling water and it takes about 6 minutes to cook that way. You can also use an egg poacher or you could soft boil your egg, or fry them.....whatever works, this is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment