Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Roasted Vegetables with Fresh Herbs

I'm always looking for interesting and healthy side dishes since we eat mostly simple grilled main courses during the week. Tonight I've got a nice piece of coho salmon to throw on the grill and this recipe for roasted vegetables is a nice combination of vegetables, all of which could stand on their own, but make for a lovely, colorful dish to serve along side the fish. This recipe appeared in Food and Wine, 2009. I've left out the parsnips, because I think four vegetables ought to be enough for us! Unfortunately my Whole Foods did not have any fresh sage, so I'm using dried...not quite the same. Can you believe they are getting their sage in TOMORROW?? Well, my menu was set and I didn't want to wait....

Roasted Vegetables with Fresh Herbs, serves 2, Total time: 1.5 hours

1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick on the bias
3/4 cup cauliflower florets
3/4 cup butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch dice
3/4 cup brussels sprouts, halved
1 1/5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 sage leaves
1 thyme sprig
1 2-inch piece rosemary sprig
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp balsamic vinegar

Preheat the oven to 425. In large bowl, toss the vegetables and herbs with the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Spread mixture on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes. Stir and sprinkle with the vinegar and continue to roast 25 minutes until tender and golden. Serve hot or at room temperature (can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours).

Bottom Line:  Although the vegetables are more brown than golden, they are quite tasty. I'm convinced that food photographers take pictures of not quite "done" food. To save some time, I used squash in a bag....peeled and diced already. Call me lazy, but I find no pleasure in cutting and peeling my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment